Thursday, January 20, 2011

Lesson Learned: Changing the diet

Lessons learned: Revamping our food takes cognoscente effort!

1. The girls & I are going egg, dairy & GF for 3 weeks because we all took food tests & we all tested intolerant for eggs & dairy, on the border for gluten (Ellie a little more on the GF than the rest of us but understanding that gluten butts heads with autoimmune & inflammation, decided to eliminate for all of us). Charlotte will be off the drugs in a year & 1/2 & I would like to retrain her body & help her immune system know what's right & wrong & it can't do that if the gut is inflamed.
2. Going GF, dairy free & egg free is a tricky combination that takes a lot of menu planning, prepping & cooking. Lots more effort into the fuel & energy that goes into our bodies is fine, just, sigh....it takes effort for sure... (snacks we usually grab & might be healthy for someone else, is not healthy for us).
This week's menu all have substitutions:
1. Thai Chicken
2. Spaghetti Al Limone
3. Tacos
4. Turkey Meatloaf
5. Chicken & Artichoke Cacciatore

3. Whilst I am sure my family will thank me someday in a major speech they will give in their life (hopefully one that includes a microphone & a camera is rolling so I can watch it over & over), right now I get lots of grumbles. Lots of grumbles. Almost at every meal. Almost. Maybe I need to make more sweets :)
Its hard to find some straight forward information about the protein molecules in gluten (wheat, rye, spelt) in simplistic terms or pictures (yes, give me a picture book) and why it fights with so many people. There's a reason that nutritionists talk about going GF for autoimmune diseases, I just need to find that info...

If I can understand gluten’s details & the way it applies to autoimmune issues, theoretically I could get the troops to rally & get behind this evil of non-thinking I have projected onto them (sarcasm). But seriously, the ritual of just having a sandwich takes some thought (there are no GF breads out there made WITHOUT eggs! So I have to make my own & it just isn't sandwich bread).

Here’s what I have found.

From Health & Recovery: If you look at the gluten molecule from a biochemistry standpoint what you see is that the gluten molecule is very similar to the cartilage in joints. So, if someone has an auto-immune problem they could be making it worse by eating gluten. The body is attacking the gluten but then attacking itself too. The biochemistry pathways for anti-inflammation are used when the diet is high in alkaline producing foods such as fruits, vegetables and omega 3′s (fish oils) and the pathways for inflammation are used by the body when the diet is high in processed foods and grains, especially gluten.

And here's Dr. Vicki Peterson (founder of HealthNOW Medical Center in Sunnyvale, CA & co-author of the bestselling "The Gluten Effect") giving a video explanation, this was very helpful!

Hmmm.... Wow. Where's that picture book again? :) ha ha!
Will continue the research & if you have any info to pass along, I would greatly appreciate it!

1 comment:

Carla said...

Am I the only one seeing the obvious here? You love to write...found a need for a book (albeit a picture book with few words.) Figure it out then write your book, I'm sure Garner and I will be reading it together in a few years! :)