Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Getting Rid of the Corn Syrup

Since Charlotte's diagnosis of juvenile rheumatoid arthritis, we learned from a nutritionalist on what highly inflammatory foods were & how to avoid them. We've changed our diet to eat closer to the source, eat more alive foods & have a rainbow of colors (rich in antioxidants) on our plates.One thing we have successfully cut from our diet is corn syrup. Its in EVERYTHING so I have learned to be a label reader (& teaching the hubby to do the same when he runs to the store "I had no idea it was in bread!").

But when baking, I have learned to replace corn syrup with Brown Rice Syrup (found at whole foods). Havent been able to taste a difference (especially in caramel corn & praline toppings for the french toast).
But now I have that icky Karo Corn Syrup still in my pantry. Here's what I plan on doing with it: Make homemade bubbles !! Its almost sunny/warm/outdoor season, I love this new site that has lots of ideas & activities for the kids! But the homemade bubbles & finding things around the house to use as wands - sounds like a fun time! See you out on the driveway!

4 comments:

LISA WHEELER MILTON said...

I still have some too, and now I know what I'll be doing with it too.

Brilliant.

Tami said...

when was it warm enough for that picture??

Laura Stevens said...

that pic is so cute! is that from last summer?

Erika said...

That picture is of Charlotte & our sweet friend Emma who is a 5th grader, in her backyard. I think they were playing Puppy Whisperer :) This was August of 2008. Hot enough to spray each other with the hose & not be cold :) That day shall come....